NBHM invites applications for Research Project Grants from faculty members at Indian institutions to support their research project in the broad area of Mathematics.
Who can apply
Faculty members at Indian institutions, with tenure valid for the duration of the project.
What is covered under a grant
The grants are meant to cover expenses under the following heads for a period of at most three years:
- Domestic academic visits (cost of travel) for the PI, or the students and post-docs supported under the grant;
- Purchase of books, equipment, computer hardware/software (including computational time on cloud resources) necessary for the conduct of the research.
- Stipend for PhD students and post-doctoral researchers, not already supported by the PI's own institution or from another agency; note that only a small number of requests under this head will be approved depending on the availability of funds.
The initial (fresh) proposal must be prepared by the PI by filling out the Research Project Application Form.
If the project extends beyond one year, the PI will be required to submit a progress report for each year, in order for the grants of subsequent years to be released. The progress report and request for renewal/release of grants must be prepared by filling out the Research Project Renewal Form.
A duly filled in form (original) along with enclosures completed in all respect should be sent to NBHM Office by post to the address given below:
National Board for Higher Mathematics
OYC Building, 1st Floor
C.S.M. Marg, Fort
Mumbai 400 001
Fresh applications will be processed in two cycles: autumn cycle and spring cycle.
Submission deadline for the Autumn processing cycle: 30th June
Submission deadline for the Spring processing cycle: 31st December
Applications for renewal must be submitted in the 11th month and the 23rd month of the project.
Release of grants and utilization
- The modalities for the release of funds will be communicated along with the approval intimation;
- The funds provided under the grants may be utilized by the PI subject to the Rules and Regulations for NBHM Research Project Grants. In particular, please note the clauses in the document governing the appointment of PhD students and post-docs, and the yearly renewal of their support.