The selection of the scholars is based on academic records and the result of a Selection Test/Interview by a selection committee constituted by NBHM. Applications are invited through advertisements in leading national newspapers normally during the month of November every year. The scholar is expected to do research work under an approved guide in an institution/university of his/her choice. Prior to joining an institution for doing research, the scholar is given a choice of joining some select institutions to take courses in mathematics, which will be helpful in a proper understanding of mathematics and consequently resulting in good research.
The present rules and regulations governing the grant of Ph.D. scholarships are described below:
- The scholarship is granted initially for one year and can be renewed for a period of up to five years, subject to satisfactory progress of the scholar.
- At present the scholarship amount is Rs.31,000/- per month for the first two years and Rs.35,000/- per month for the next three years after a review/evaluation of the work by the committee formed by institute/guide/supervisor, at the end of two years.
The Ph.D. scholarship also carries a contingency grant of Rs.40,000/- per annum.
Rules & Regulations Governing the NBHM Ph. D. Scholarships:
- The scholarship is tenable during course work at the specified institutions and during the period when the scholar works for his Ph.D. degree at any Indian university/research institution (other than DAE aided institutes) where the necessary facilities exist for undertaking research work in an approved subject chosen by the research scholar.
- The scholarship is tenable for one year once the scholar starts on his/her work for the Ph.D. degree. It is extendable up to a total period of five years (not including the special training period of one year, if availed) for pursuing the Ph.D. degree in a university or research institution (not with DAE). The extension for subsequent years beyond the first year is subject to satisfactory progress, to be assessed each year by University/Department/Institution concerned. Extension for a fifth year after the start of the Ph.D. programme is given on the basis of a review of the scholar's work by NBHM.
- The research scholar is entitled to stipulated leave as per the rules of the institution to which he/she is attached. However long leave with stipend will not be allowed. If the scholar is not provided hostel/subsidized accommodation by the institution, House Rent Allowance (HRA) will be paid as per Government norms.
The Contingency grant can be utilised for the following:
- Purchase of stationery and books. Books purchased by the scholar, from the contingency grant are allowed to be retained by him/her.
- Travel inside the country for attending conference/lectures etc.
- Towards payment for computer time, laptop, tab and computer accessories (Please note that Purchase of printers/xerox machine is not permitted).
- Any other purpose specifically authorized by this department.
- The unutilized part of the contingency grant is allowed to be carried forward to the next year.
N.B.: NO REIMBURSEMENT CAN BE CLAIMED FROM THE CONTINGENCY GRANT FOR PURCHASING FURNITURE AND OFFICE EQUIPMENT.
OBLIGATIONS OF HOST UNIVERSITY/ RESEARCH INSTITUTION:
The host University/Research Institution should furnish the following information:
A certificate that the research scholar has joined the institution under the supervisor/guide (name) for undertaking research work in an approved subject chosen by him/her along with a copy of his/her Joining Report indicating the actual date of joining.
A certificate that all the necessary facilities for undertaking research work in an approved subject, as chosen by the research scholar will be provided by the institution.
If the university/institution has not provided subsidised/hostel accommodation and if the research scholar has made his/her arrangement for accommodation, then a certificate to that effect, is to be submitted for claiming HRA by the scholar.
The institution will receive the scholarship amount for one year from R&D-II (DAE), Mumbai and make monthly payment to the scholar in the prescribed manner. The institution should undertake to keep Subsidiary Accounts and furnish a Utilisation Certificate and Statement of Accounts along with the refund of unspent balance of the amount received by them from time to time. The refund should be by cheque or DD drawn in favour of Pay and Accounts Officer DAE. An annual report of the work done along with the list of publications/patents (if any) coming out of the NBHM Grants, Utilisation Certificate and Statement of Accounts duly signed by the guide and head of the institution with a suitable recommendation of further grant, if any, are necessary to be submitted to NBHM (DAE) within One Month. In case the research scholar is called upon to assist the institution in its teaching programme, the workload should not exceed four hours of teaching per week at the postgraduate level or six hours of teaching per week at the undergraduate level.
OBLIGATIONS OF RESEARCH SCHOLARS:
The research scholar must be a full time researcher and submit himself/herself to the disciplinary regulations of the university/ institute where he/she works.
He must be regular in attending to the departmental duties assigned to him. (The department must ensure regular attendance of the scholar by keeping an attendance register. The research scholar must send a detailed consolidated report of the research work done during the entire period of fellowship along with the list of publications/patents (if any) coming out of the NBHM Grants, on completion of the tenure/resignation of the scholarship through the guide to DAE. During the tenure of the scholarship, the scholar shall correspond with DAE or NBHM only through the guide/head of the institution.
The research scholar shall keep DAE informed about his/her getting any higher degree/acceptance/ publication of any research paper arising out of the research work done during the tenure of the Fellowship. He/She must acknowledge the support of NBHM- DAE (Government of India) in the publications. One copy of each research paper published must be sent to DAE, at each stage of publication (manuscript/reprint). The research scholars are expected to acknowledge the support received from NBHM-DAE in all their publications and in their Ph.D. theses. In case the scholar is required to undergo Pre-PhD training like M.Phil before registering for Ph.D. degree, the scholarship may become operative from the date of enrolment for the pre-Ph.D. programme. However, the scholarship for the second year will be given only if the scholar has got himself /herself registered for Ph.D. degree.
Information on PhD Scholarships:
Students possessing Master's degree in mathematics, physics or statistics and wishing to take up research work in any branch of mathematics (including mathematical statistics and mathematical physics) leading to a Ph.D. degree are eligible to apply for the Ph.D. scholarships awarded by NBHM.
The information below is retained here only for archival reference purposes:
Here are some links regarding Ph.D. scholarships results: