The National Board for Higher Mathematics (NBHM) was set up by the Government of India under the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), in the year 1983, to foster the development of higher mathematics in the country, to formulate policies for the development of mathematics, help in the establishment and development of mathematical centres and give financial assistance to research projects and to doctoral and postdoctoral scholars.
NBHM functions essentially autonomously framing its own budget taking into account the funds made available by DAE.
The Objectives of the Board are:
- To promote the growth of higher mathematics in the country; and
- To coordinate activities for the development of mathematics.
The Functions of the NBHM are:
- To continuously evolve and implement policies and programmes for the development of mathematics in the country;
- To help in the establishment and development of mathematical centres;
- To give financial assistance to research projects and to doctoral and postdoctoral scholars;
- To assess the nature and extent of mathematical inputs necessary in applications and to suggest steps for training adequate personnel especially in areas where sophisticated mathematics is involved; and
- To determine the funds required for these activities and to administer these funds through suitable machinery set up for this purpose.
NBHM usually meets twice a year, to discuss its programmes and various proposals received at NBHM from mathematicians all over the country.
Currently NBHM has Seven Sub-Committees:
- Research Projects Committee
- Travel Grant Committee
- University Programs Committee
- National Library Committee
- Examinations Committee
- Postdoctoral Fellowships Committee
- Mathematical Olympiad Activities Committee
These committees’ representatives consider proposals, throughout the year, for financial support for varied mathematical activities, from institutions and individuals. These proposals are evaluated by the respective committees following stringent selection criteria, and selected proposals are given financial support as recommended by the committee. Decisions of the committees are final.
NBHM normally provides financial support only to Indian nationals and institutions. Currently NBHM grants Postdoctoral fellowships, Ph.D. scholarships, MA/MSc Scholarships for research/education in mathematics, along with research project on higher mathematics.
NBHM provides financial support to the Mathematics Olympiad activity, run in collaboration with the Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education, for students at the junior college/high school level.
NBHM provides financial support for holding conferences/seminars/workshops and instructional schools.
Granting financial support to libraries of mathematics departments of universities and research institutions in the country is one of the major activities of NBHM.